Clearly this isn’t really a “How To” since I’ve only recovered exactly one chair in my entire life. I’m not an expert. I had to have my hubby’s help, since using a staple gun is somehow a 2 person job. At least for me it is.
We got this chair from Grandma Irene. The original fabric was a blue and white gingham print, and the fabric itself wasn’t a sturdy upholstery fabric, it was more of a soft cotton. So, after years of us sitting in it, and Owen jumping off of it, the fabric started to tear. Then the foam pad started to tear and leave little bits of foam all over the floor. Then the chair became too hard to sit on, so we threw an old bed pillow on it. It was tacky.
After I took the seat off, I just took my kitchen shears and cut the old fabric off. I didn’t have the time (or patience) to try and get the 40,000 staples out of the chair. And I’m not sure why my hand looks so scary in the picture below.
I took the plywood cut out from the seat bottom and put it on top of my the new foam I bought at Joann Fabrics. I just free-handed the outline, but made it about 1/2 inch bigger on each side, so the side of the chair would have some cushion on it.
I then took the Home Decor/Upholstery fabric I bought and laid it out. I cut a rough outline of the plywood, making sure to leave enough room on each side for the fabric to be pulled around and stapled.
I started stapling the fabric from the front of the chair, then stapled the back, and then each side, making sure to pull tight each time I stapled. Hubby helped me do the corners, since every time I tried, it just looked like a big mess of fabric. This is what it looked like after I had stapled it.
Here is the chair after I put it back together.
Now we have a cute chair in our living room. Funky colors, which I like. Sturdy enough now for Owen to jump off of, and Sean likes it because it’s not too girly. Success!