Owen and I made some super yummy no-bake cookies this morning, and I wanted to share. I also am posting the recipe for the 30 minute dinner I made last night, for Baked Ziti. YUM.
No-Bake Peanut Butter & Honey Cookies
3 1/2 c quick oats
1 1/2 c chocolate chips
1 1/2 c sugar
1/3 c milk (I only had heavy cream…I suggest making this substitution. wow)
1/4 c honey
1/4 c butter
2/3 c peanut butter
1 1/2 t vanilla
1. Combine oats and chocolate chips. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, honey & butter. Boil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until peanut butter melts. Pour this mixture over the oats and chocolate chips. Mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper. Let cool 1 hour.
It’s super easy and really yummy, too.
Skillet Baked Ziti (from my cookbook, The Best 30-Minute Recipe, from Cook’s Illustrated)
1 T olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
12 ounces Ziti (you can use penne if you can’t find ziti)
1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c minced fresh basil
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat oven to 475, with oven rack in middle position.
2. Combine oil, garlic, pepper flakes and 1/2 t salt in 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet (I used my dutch oven) and saute’ over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, water, ziti and 1/2 t salt. Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed to maintain a vigorous simmer, until ziti is almost tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
3. Stir in cream, Parmesan and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ziti. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes. Serve.
This was actually super easy, and it makes GREAT leftovers for lunch the next day. Enjoy!