The Birth of Colin Ezra


I’ve been meaning to write this down for like, 17 days now…pardon my tardiness. πŸ™‚ I finally have some time to do it now. Colin is asleep in Owen’s lap and the house is quiet. Perfect.

I had been having contractions for 2 weeks before Colin was even born. I finally just gave up on timing them because I knew they’d eventually fizzle out. I was beyond done being pregnant. Like, SO DONE. I had Owen at 38 weeks. I was pretty sure I’d have Colin at 38 weeks, too. I was wrong. Colin was born at 40 weeks and 2 days. Stinker.

The Sunday he was born (Jan 15) I started having my contractions around 10am. Nothing regular or consistent. 3 minutes apart, 14 minutes, 2 minutes, 20 minutes. Just silly. Owen told me that morning when we were eating breakfast that he was going to be a big brother tonight. Apparently, he was right this time. Some of my contractions were painful, but for the most part I could talk through them. Sean got home from work around 6 and they were getting pretty strong by then. At 7, I had to go to the bathroom and it took me 15 minutes to walk from our bathroom to the kitchen (in our tiny little apartment.) Sean thought he should call Sherry (my midwife) but I told him I was sure it was nothing. He finally called her around 7:30-ish, when I could no longer talk through my contractions and had to stop what I was doing.

I believe Sherry arrived around 8:00pm and when she checked me at 8:30, I was 4 cm dilated. At least I wasn’t zero! My other midwife, Tiffany, her daughter, Malea, and my doula, Rachel (and her baby Travis) all arrived shortly thereafter. We started inflating the birthing pool and boiling water. We went through the hot water in our water heater pretty quickly, so Sean went next door and asked our neighbor if he could drain her water heater, too. Thankfully, she’s really awesome and let us take all her hot water. πŸ™‚ I got in the birthing pool around 9:30-ish and it was fantastic. I kept having contractions and they were definitely getting stronger. I was so happy that this was finally happening. Malea and Owen went into our bedroom and watched a movie, played Angry Birds and read some books. It was so fantastic to have Malea there to play with Owen.

My hubby was beyond fantastic this entire time. I seriously could not have done this without him. He was getting cold wash cloths for me, ice and water, a waffle when I was hungry. Seriously. He’s my rock. Rachel had some great suggestions for helping me relax when the contractions got really intense at the end. I really think everyone should hire a doula. It made such a huge difference.

Around 11:00pm or so, I remember feeling like my contractions were just turning into one big contraction. I didn’t feel like I had any breaks in between them anymore. At 11:24pm, my water broke. Let me just preface this by saying, I am DEATHLY afraid of balloons. They can pop at anytime, so unpredictable, you know? So when my water broke, it was pretty Β much a huge water balloon popping. At this point, I tried to get out of the birthing pool. Insane, I know, but I was so done with this birth thing. In my mind, I was just going to walk out the front door. I’d give birth tomorrow. πŸ™‚ I told Sherry I just needed a break before I could push this baby out, and she told me I’d get a break after I had the baby. So not helpful at the time. πŸ™‚ haha

I started pushing at 11:28pm, and at 11:36pm, Colin Ezra Whitney joined our family. His umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck AND his body and Sherry had to get that off of him. He also had a hard time breathing at first, so they gave him some little puffs of air. My midwives were so prepared.

When Colin finally took a breath and cried, I was so relieved. What a beautiful sound!

After Colin was born and I delivered the placenta, I got to get in my own bed with Colin and we just bonded as a family of 4 for the first time. (Then, it was just a family of 3, as Owen and Malea fell asleep in the living room on the couch.) I am so lucky that Owen got to be present to witness the birth of his brother. He talks about it all the time and tells me that it was his favorite day.

Colin’s birth was so incredibly fast. I did freak out at the end and I’m pretty sure I asked for drugs, also….maybe more than once. I also told Sean I changed my mind about having a baby. Also pretty sure it was too late for that. πŸ™‚ Overall, best experience ever for me. My recovery time with Owen was so much longer than with Colin. I didn’t require any stitches after Colin’s birth, and I was up and walking around the next day. With Owen, I swear I was in a rocking chair for 2 weeks.

As of yesterday when Sherry weighed Colin, he was 8 lbs, 3 oz. That’s a 18 ounce weight gain since his birth. He’s obviously nursing like a champ. He’s a good night sleeper, and I don’t know what to do with that. πŸ™‚ Owen was a horrible sleeper and nursed all night long. Colin seriously nurses 2-3 times during the night, but would nurse all day long if he could.

We are so blessed to have these 2 sweet boys. Owen is a fantastic big brother and I seriously don’t know what I’d do without him. Hubby took a week off work and when he went back, it’s almost like Owen just took over.

I am so, so blessed.


About Erin

I'm a mom to the sweetest little boys ever, Owen & Colin. Owen was born in April of 2007 after 22 hours of active labor in a hospital. Love him more than life. Knowing I didn't feel another hospital birth was right for me, Colin was born at home surrounded by our 2 midwives and our little family. I've been married to my hubs for 7 years. We met in 1997 in an AOL Chatroom...the rest is history. I'm crazy. I'm funny. I am socially awkward. This is my life.

3 responses »

  1. Hi! I’m friends with Emily Justice and sometimes I spy on your blog. This is a great birth story! I’m 32 weeks pregnant with my second boy, so I especially enjoyed your story because I’ll be doing it myself in a couple months. My first birth was a natural birth in a hospital with a doula, and I also tried to “escape” from the birth at one point. I was convinced I could just stand up and run away down the hall and out the door and not have to give birth. Luckily, no one let me. Anyway, congratulations!!!! Your family is adorable!

    • Yeah! So glad you read the blog. πŸ™‚ And thank you so much for your sweet comments. Yeah, I was ready to just up and leave that whole birth thing. haha Glad I didn’t though. Good luck with the birth of your second son. Boys are so awesome. πŸ™‚ Sending you lots of hugs and good labor vibes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s